If you are anything like me then the highlight of any trip to IKEA is usually the food. For Mr C it is the hot dogs and for me it is the Daim bar cake.
I have recently attempted to recreate my own version.
It is not neat or pretty but close your eyes and you will be in Daim bar cake heaven.
- 4 egg whites
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 25g butter
- 75g icing sugar
- 3tsp vanilla extract
- 140g bag of Daim bar pieces broken up with a rolling pin (I couldn’t find the normal sized Daim bars)
1. Grease and line two 8 inch cake tins.
2. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
3. Gently fold in the sugar, salt, almonds and 2tsp vanilla extract.
4. Cook for 30-40 minutes on 140oC/Gas Mark 1 until the cake is firm to the touch.
5. Remove and allow to cool.
6. Whisk together the butter, icing sugar, and 2tsp vanilla essence until you have a runny butter cream mixture.
7. To assemble the cake place 1 circle of cake onto a plate, top with half the butter cream, then the other cake and the remaining half of the butter cream.
8. Place the broken Daim bar pieces into a glass bowl and melt until all the choclate is melted and only the lumps of Daim remain.
9. Spread this over the top of the cake and chill.
Hopefully this will go down a treat at my girlie sleep over tonight. I have left Mr C with a slab to keep him company while I am away tonight.
Have you seen English Mums Big Bake Off yet? Dust off your apron and get baking, there is chocolate at stake here people!