As part of the Summer Get Crafty Carnival I have agreed to try and adapt my love heart sugar cubes to fit in with the summer theme. What better way to celebrate summer than with flowery sugar cubes fit for a tea party.
You will need;
- Food Colouring
- Small Cookie Cutters
1. Mix ½ cup of sugar with 1tsp of liquid (either just water if you want your shapes to be white or a combination of food colouring and water for coloured shapes). I wanted bright vivid colours so I used 1tsp yellow food colouring and no water.
2. Mix the water and the sugar together with a fork. It should resemble damp sand.
3. Tip the sugar onto a flat surface and something to compact it, your hand, a plate or a rolling pin.
4. Press your cookie cutter into the sugar and then use a spoon or your finger to compact the sugar into the cutter, gently slide the cutter onto another flat surface (plate or chopping board) and very gently press the sugar out. You need to be very careful here and handle the sugar as little as possible.
5. Once you have cut all of your shapes out leave them on the flat surface for several hours to dry out. When they dry they will be nice and hard.
I used a small paintbrush to paint the centres of my hearts and flowers.
These are so easy to make and look beautiful in a pretty bowl at a tea party or wrapped in cellophane and tied with a ribbon as a gift.
There are so many shapes and colours that you could attempt. You could also use shapped ice cube trays too.